GoPro Pan and Tilt head Recap – Part 2

Part 2

Whilst looking through the various libraries available I came across one that allows you to hook a PS2 controller up to an Arduino board. Just perchance I happened to have one of these that had been attacked by the cat and had its cable severely munched. Unfortunately the cat had decided the end of the cable that goes into the actual controller as opposed to the end that goes into the PS2 tasted better so both ends of the cable needed to be cut off, one end resoldered into the controller and the other onto a DB9 connector.

In testing this I found that only sporadically would commands get through, I’m guessing this was because the controller runs on 3.3v (yay,  once again available on the PSU) and the Arduino on 5v so the data lines were getting mixed. Pulling the data line up to 5v with a resistor solved this problem anyway.

This worked out great in that not only does it give me a plethora of buttons but also two joysticks that can be used to control motion in manual mode.

It should be noted at this point a minor problem that developed with the power supply…

Here it is with all the cables loomed into bunches ready to go to the right place. The next step I don’t have a picture of but basically…

I needed a way to mount the power supply to the case. If you have a look at the picture above you’ll see that the PSU case is essentially 2 U shapes joined together, with one of them making up the front, bottom and back and the other making the two sides and the top. The two parts of the case are held together with four screws from the top. Inside the case the main circuit board is mounted with spacers approx 3mm high off the bottom of the case. The idea was to open the case, remove the main circuit board, drill 4 holes in the bottom of the PSU case and mount it to the Project case using 5mm plastic standoffs and m3 screws. Then reinstall the plastic insulation under the PSU circuit board, re mount the circuit board and close up the PSU. DONE!

The problem came however when I went to switch the PSU on. Sizzling noise, smoke, melted wires and acrid smell. Turns out that when reinstalling the circuit board the cutoff leads on one of the capacitors still had enough length to puncture the plastic insulating sheet and contact the head of one of the mounting screws. Needless to say it never worked again.

http://www.ascent.co.nz provided the replacement PSU, seen below installed

The case on this one went together a bit differently so I had to first mount it on a perspex sheet and then mount the whole thing in the case. You’ll also notice that this PSU, whilst being from the same family is a slightly different shape to the original. In particular a bit thinner and with a recessed as opposed to top mounted fan. Luckily the holes in the back still matched up, In the end to get the top looking good I just cut the whole top of the box out, mounted a perspex panel on the top and stuck a fan grill on the whole lot

Part 3 to come…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s